Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
Great for a crowd. This recipe will serve 8 - halve the ingredients for a smaller batch. These are super-easy to make and you can use whatever vegetables you have to hand. Gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian. Serve with our mint and coriander raita or chilli jam.
250g chickpea flour (also called besan or gram flour)
8 tsp of Tandoori Masala
2 tbsp lemon juice
300g potatoes, peeled and chopped*
2 onions, finely chopped
3 spring onions, finely sliced
Carrots, thinly peeled into long ribbons
1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
2 tsp salt
Sunflower oil, for deep frying
- Put the gram flour in a bowl, add the Tandoori Masala and stir well to combine.
- Add the lemon juice, then gradually add enough water to form a smooth batter that is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the sunflower oil to the batter mixture and mix well to coat the potatoes and onions.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it.
- When the oil is hot, carefully lower tablespoons of the batter mixture in batches into the oil and fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the pakoras are crisp and golden-brown and the vegetables have cooked through.
- Serve immediately with Mint and Coriander Raita or chilli jam.
NOTE: Korma, Bhuna and Goan Spice Pots also work well with this recipe
Make sure to cut the potato into small pieces or they won't cook properly