It’s hard in January - you are skint, you’ve had the kids at home for quite a while, your routine is shot and you feel like a pickled whale. It’s dark and cold. To top it all off, everyone is telling you to do things you don’t want to do, like:
a.) lose weight
b.) be healthier
c.) not drink any alcohol
d.) be amazing and beautiful all the time
e.) not drink any alcohol
f.) be the perfect parent
g.) be a domestic goddess
Well, I say, stuff your face with curry and be happy. And don’t drink before 8pm except on special occasions, bank holidays, weekends or weekdays beginning with the letter ‘T’.
Actually, you can stuff your face with curry - it’s pretty healthy if you make it from scratch (easy with Spice Pots). Curry has a bad rep for being fattening but here are some top tips to keep it healthier:
- Try to use coconut oil instead of others and you really don’t need to use much
- Use more vegetables and pulses and just a wee bit of meat if that’s your thing
- Have food all ready to go in the fridge so that you don’t reach for the white bread and cheese (one of my failings)
- Season soups with Spice Pots to keep it interesting and top with hunger-bashing seeds and nuts
- Make up big, healthy filling salads so you have something healthy to spoon out of the bowl when you are ‘hangry’
- If you are feeding a family, whizz up the veggies in the sauce so that your kids don’t get distressed when they see a carrot
- Follow our vegan recipes which are very low in calories and totally delicious
- Always have Spice Pots, onions, ginger, garlic, tins tomatoes, coconut milk, pulses and veg in your store cupboard / fridge then you will ALWAYS be able to make a delicious curry / Indian Inspired Meal
And most of all, don’t worry if you don’t change anything at all, there is always next year.
Here are some easy and healthy curry recipes ideal for January:
Korma Daal - low calories ready in under 30 mintues
Spice Pots Curry Sauce - make a big batch and freeze ready to use with leftovers. Omit cream to veganise.
Chicken Curry - low calories and ready in under 30 minutes
Spice Pots Matar Paneer - super easy and quick
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup - comforting and easy
Goan Spicy Cous Cous - ready in 10 minutes.
Tandoori Masala Roasted Vegetables - eat with the cous cous - yummy
Shop the Spice
Never miss a new Spice Pots recipe, sign up to receive our newest recipes straight to your inbox