An easy beetroot recipe, this has become a staple weekly dinner for our family. We serve it topped with a fried egg and lots of vegetables. Both the Korma and the Goan blends work really well with these ingredients, but you could use any of our savoury blends and it will be delicious.
As it's always a bit of a pain to peel beetroot and stain your hands red, if you have a large food processor, it's a great idea to double this. You can then freeze the extra fritter batter for another day. You can also cook and freeze them as cooked fritters.
* Gluten free? Use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
* Vegan? Substitute the egg for soaked chia seeds. For 1 egg, mix 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 3 tbsp of water, and wait for about 5 minutes until it becomes a gel.
This has been updated from "River Cottage Light and Easy" by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
Makes approximately 30 fritters.
200g raw beetroot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 medium carrot (about 100g), peeled and chopped
1/2 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed (reduce to 1 clove if using Tandoori Masala)
100g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed, about 1/2 tin
1 tsp soy sauce or tamari
75g porridge oats
1 large egg
2 tsp Korma blend (or any of our Spice Pots blends)
Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Oil for cooking
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C and place a lined tray in the oven to heat through.
- Put all ingredients, except for the oil for cooking, into a food processor and blitz until well blended. You may need to take the lid off and push everything down a couple of times.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of oil to cover the pan.
- Using a dessert spoon, take a heaped spoonful of the batter and place in the frying pan. Use the spoon to mould it into a round shape and flatten into a disc. It doesn't matter if they're not a perfect circle!
- Gently fry for 2 minutes, then flip them over and cook for another 2 minutes, so each side has browned nicely.
- Pop onto the heated tray in the oven when each batch of fritters is finished, to help cook through completely and keep warm until served.
Delicious served with with tzatziki or raita