Chicken Rogan Josh
Rogan Josh masala is such a delicious mix of spices - it's smoky, reddish in colour and medium in heat. This Chicken Rogan Josh recipe is our version of this curry house favorite. Quick enough for a mid-week meal but seriously tasty, this chicken curry will become a favorite. We have used chicken thighs for this easy curry recipe but see the notes below if you would prefer to use chicken breasts, which will reduce the cooking time.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Method: Oven (or hob)
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️
Ingredients:1-2 tbsp oil
2 onions, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed
6cm ginger, grated
400g tin tomatoes
8 tsps Rogan Josh curry powder for a medium result
1kg skinless chicken thighs, whole (or 1kg chicken breasts, chopped into cubes)
100ml chicken stock
Salt, to taste
2 tbsp natural yogurt (optional)
Coriander, to garnish
- Heat the oven to 170 fan /190 conventional
- Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft, for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic & ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook down for a few minutes until dark and reduced
- Add the spices and cook for a minute
- Turn up the heat, add the whole chicken thighs (or chicken breast cubes) and fry until the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the stock, put on the lid and put in the oven for 25 mins. Alternatively, cook gently on the hob.
- After 25 minutes, remove the lid and cook for a further 25 minutes in the oven until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is soft and falling apart. N.B if the curry looks dry after the first 25 minutes, keep the lid on.
- Check the seasoning and add salt as required
- When ready to serve, stir through the yoghurt if using and garnish with coriander
- Check the curry a few times during cooking to check it does not dry out
- Add a little boiling water or stock if it needs more liquid.
- If you would prefer to use chicken breasts, follow as above and put into the oven, with no lid, for around 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Freeze any leftovers.
More Easy Curry Recipe Ideas:
For Curry Cooking Tips and Tricks: