Goan Chicken and Lentil Curry
If you love Chicken Dansak from your favorite takeaway, this is our fakeaway version, although perhaps not as sweet. Add more mango chutney to make it sweeter!
An easy curry, ready in about 30 minutes if using chicken breasts. You can also use chicken thighs which will take longer to cook. This recipe is mild as we have only used 4 tsps of the Goan blend but add more if you like it hotter or use any of our other blends. The addition of lentils make this recipe go further. You could also add in some spinach at the end for some colour!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️
2 tablespoons oil, for frying
2 large onions, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
4cm piece of ginger, grated
4 tsps Goan Spice Pot
400g tin of tomatoes
500g - 700g chicken breasts, chopped
Chicken Stock, approx 300ml
200g red lentils, rinsed
Salt, to taste
Mango Chutney, 1 tablespoon
Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Heat the oil and fry the onion until soft and browning. Take your time with this as it really helps with the flavour of the curry.
- Add the garlic, ginger and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook down til dark and thick then add 4 teaspoons of the Goan blend, stir and cook for around 1 minute.
- Turn up the heat, add the chicken and fry for a couple of minutes so that the chicken takes on some colour.
- Add the chicken stock and lentils. Bubble away gently for about 15 minutes until the lentils are just tender and the chicken cooked through.
- Add the spoonful of mango chutney and stir through. Add salt.
- Garnish with the coriander.
- Serve with rice or breads.
Or browse some of our vegetarian curry recipes.