If you've ever wondered 'what is paneer?' then you're not alone! Paneer is almost like an Indian cottage cheese ~ it's mild, milky and has a crumbly texture. It is also absolutely delicious, especially when it's pan-fried until it's golden brown
This paneer recipe (also commonly known as Mutter Paneer) is a GORGEOUS Indian side dish. It is easy but the paneer will take a little while to brown on all sides. It's not really a paneer curry as such as it's quite a dry dish making it perfect as a side dish.
Serves: 4 as a side dish
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Method: Oven (or hob)
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
225g paneer, chopped into cubes
1 onion, chopped
5cm piece of ginger, grated
1 (or more) fresh chilli
2 teaspoons of Korma Spice (you could use any of our blends)
200g fresh or frozen peas
2 spring onions, chopped
Fresh Coriander, to garnish
- Heat the oil, then brown the paneer on all sides. Keep the heat high but keep a constant eye so that it doesn't burn. Remove the paneer.
- Add the onions, ginger and chillies to the same oil and cook until soft and browning.
- Add the Spices and cook for a minute or so.
- Then add the peas, paneer and spring onions and a splash of water and keep stirring on a high heat until the peas are defrosted but lovely and green and crunchy.
- Season with salt and garnish with coriander.
Serve with a simple daal for a complete meal.
Browse more side dishes
Browse easy curry recipes