Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️
150g fresh or frozen peas
4 tbsp oil
2 green chillies, chopped (optional)
Bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2cm piece ginger, grated
3 tsp of Bhuna
2 tbsp besan flour (chickpea flour, gram flour)
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil and fry the onions, ginger and chilli.
- Once the onions are transparent, add a splash of water and the Bhuna spices. Cook for about a minute then mix in the peas and warm through very gently (too much cooking and the peas will loose their green). Add the chopped coriander and stir through.
- Add this mixture to the cooked and mashed potatoes, and mix in the besan flour, lemon juice and salt. Combine well then form the mixture into golf ball size balls. Shape into patties. ** You can freeze them at this point
- Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the patties in batches. Fry them on each side until crisp and golden brown. (Defrost before frying.)
- Serve hot or cold. Great with Mint & Coriander raita or mango chutney.
Looking for other snacks or starters?
Or read our blog for our other suggested easy side dishes