Easy to make, mix up the seasoning to add variation from week to week. We are using our Sweet Blend here to season for a Turkish Kofte vibe but you could just as easily use any of our savoury blends. There is no heat at all (no chili) but loads of flavour. Change up the herbs too! The aim was to cook these on a griddle pan in a pizza oven but the rain had other ideas so we ended up cooking these on a griddle on the hob, adding the skewers for serving afterwards. You could also cook on a griddle pan in the oven or on the BBQ.
Makes: 6-7 Koftas
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Method: Pizza Oven, BBQ, Grill or Oven
1 large onion, grated
500g lamb mince
A handful of fresh coriander or mint leaves, finely chopped
2.5 teaspoons Sweet Blend
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying
- Grate the onion and strain excess moisture in a sieve (or squeeze with your hands)
- Mix up all the ingredients, making sure you season really well with salt and pepper
- Shape the mix into fat finger shapes.
- Cover and chill in the fridge to allow the mixture to firm up
- When ready to cook, heat the pizza oven to around 300° then oil and pre-heat the pan for a couple of minutes
- Cook the koftas for around 6-8 minutes, turning half way through. Don't turn too early or they may fall apart! They should be golden brown on all sides. You may have to cook in batches depending on the size of your pan / oven
- Serve in soft pittas with salad and our Mint and Coriander Raita or Tzatziki.
Recipe Notes: When I cooked these on the hob on a griddle pan, they took more like 10 minutes to cook. Ensure they are cooked all the way through (they should have an internal temperature of around 70˚C (160˚F). Rest before serving.