Vegetable Madras Curry
This spicy vegetarian Madras curry is comforting and very delicious. We have used cauliflower and potatoes with tomatoes but mix it up according to the seasons. You can also use this Madras masala with coconut milk if you prefer. This would be delicious with sweet potato and green beans as an alternative vegan curry option. Mop up the juices with naan bread or roti. Or make your own easy flatbreads.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
Ingredients:1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped or sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4cm ginger, grated
6 tsps Madras curry powder for a medium result (add more for a spicier curry)
400g tinned tomatoes
500ml vegetable stock (you may need to add extra)
400g potatoes, peeled and chopped into small and even pieces
Small head of a cauliflower, broken into small florets
120g frozen peas
2 handfuls of spinach
Salt, to taste
Coriander, to garnish
- Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic & ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook down until they darken and then add the spices and cook for a minute or so
- Add the stock, potato and cauliflower and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat and cook gently for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Check the seasoning and add salt as required.
- Then add the peas and spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and enjoy!
- Be sure to cut the potato and cauliflower into similar sizes so they cook at the same rate
- Use carrots in place of the cauliflower if you prefer
- Freeze any leftovers.
More Easy Curry Recipe Ideas:
- Chicken Madras Curry
- Chicken Rogan Josh
- Beef Madras
- Lamb Madras
- Prawn Korma
- Lentil Curry
- Lamb Rogan Josh