Vegetarian Rogan Josh
This vegan version of the classic Rogan Josh curry is so simple to make and seriously delicious! It’s rich and fragrant and low in calories too. Swap out the aubergine for sweet potato if you prefer. You could also use chickpeas in place of butter beans. Add greens at the end according to the seasons - spinach, green beans or kale work well. Rogan Josh masala is such a delicious mix of spices - it's smoky, reddish in colour and medium in heat.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Method: Oven (or hob)
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️
Ingredients:1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4cm ginger, grated
4-5 tsps Rogan Josh curry powder
1 large aubergine (approx 500g), chopped in 1cm pieces
1 chili (optional)
400g tin tomatoes
400ml coconut milk (or use extra stock instead)
400g butter beans (or use chickpeas)
A handful of greens such as spinach, green beans or kale
Salt, to taste
Coriander, to garnish
- Heat the oil and add the onions. Cook for a good few minutes until they are lovely and translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic and spices with a splash of water, cook for a minute
- Then add the aubergine (and chili if using) and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. You may need to add a splash or 2 of water if looking too dry.
- Add 100 ml of vegetable stock. Pop the lid on and cook gently for around 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the aubergines are soft. If it gets too dry, add a little more stock or boiling water.
- Add the tomatoes. Cook down for a couple of minutes before adding the coconut milk (or stock substitute) and butterbeans.
- Add your green veg of choice and cook until tender.
- Season and then garnish with fresh coriander
More Easy Curry Recipe Ideas:
- Vegetable Madras Curry
- Chicken Rogan Josh
- Beef Madras
- Lamb Madras
- Prawn Korma
- Lentil Curry
- Lamb Rogan Josh