Prep time: 1 hours 45 minutes (to cook Haggis in the oven)
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes
Method: oven and hob
Heat scale: 🌶️
A fun alternative to the traditional Haggis or a great way to use up any leftovers. If you are vegetarian but want to join in, replace the haggis for vegetables. See our Veg Pakora recipe and our Healthy Pakora recipe.
HAGGIS PAKORA RECIPE
250g haggis, cooked and cooled
150g gram flour (also known as Besan or Chickpea Flour)
4 tsp of Korma
Salt to taste
300ml of buttermilk or yoghurt
2 tbsp milk
1 lime (juice and zest)
3 spring onions finely chopped
Handful coriander chopped (including stalks)
Oil for deep frying
- Mix the gram flour, spices and salt in a bowl.
- Then add the buttermilk or yoghurt, milk and lime juice and zest and mix into a thick batter.
- Stir in the coriander and spring onions.
- Heat the oil. Form the haggis into balls with your hands, dip to cover in the batter and then fry until golden.
- Serve with the whisky dipping sauce below, chillli jam or chutney.
WHISKY DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE
This is a bit like a cheat's tomato chutney with a spicy, whisky flavour. Delicious with our Haggis Pakoras.
220g brown sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp of any of our spice blends (Korma, Bhuna, Goan or Tandoori Masala)
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot, combine ketchup and brown sugar. Over low heat whisk ketchup and brown sugar to make a smooth sauce.
- Add the whisky, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice to the pan and whisk into the sauce.
- Slowly warm the sauce over low heat, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes.