This simple vegetarian curry will make mid week cooking all the more joyful, as its such an easy recipe. A delicious homemade curry that freezes well making it an easy family dinner.
This vegan curry was inspired by my Mum's greenhouse and garden in late August where she grows aubergines, courgettes, tomatoes, spinach, green beans and much more.
Curry is a brilliant way to use up any tired looking vegetables in your fridge or a glut in the garden if you are a vegetable grower. You can use fresh tomatoes here instead of tinned tomatoes - just be sure to cook them down for a while so they are nice and dark. For the greens, spinach is a great summer option or use kale for winter greens. See the note below to use courgettes in this recipe instead of aubergines.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️
Ingredients:1/2 - 1 tbsp oil (or use an oil spray)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 chilli, chopped (optional)
2 small aubergines (approx 500 grams), chopped into 1cm cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
4cm piece of ginger, grated
100ml vegetable stock
400g tin chopped tomatoes (or use fresh tomatoes)
4 heaped tsp Goan or Korma curry powder
400ml tin of coconut milk (or use 300ml more stock if you want to omit the coconut milk)
400g tin butter beans
Handful of green veg such as spinach, kale (stems removed) or pak choi
Salt and Pepper
A handful of coriander, chopped to garnish
- Heat the oil and add the onions. Cook for a good few minutes until they are lovely and translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and chilli and aubergine and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 100ml of vegetable stock. Pop the lid on and cook gently for around 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the aubergines are soft. If it gets too dry, add a little more stock or boiling water.
- Add the spices of your choice (really any spice blend will work here). Cook for a minute or so, until the spices smell fragrant and then add the tomatoes. Cook down for a couple of minutes before adding the coconut milk (or stock substitute) and butterbeans.
- Add your green veg of choice and remove from the heat.
- Season and then garnish with fresh coriander
You could swap out aubergines for courgettes if you like. Scoop out the seeds (to make them a little firmer) Then fry them up in oil until golden brown and set aside. Cook the rest of the recipe, then add the courgettes back in towards the end and cook until tender. You can also use the seeds to thicken up the sauce.
See our blog post for other summer meal ideas or check out our plant-based BBQ recipes or barbecue recipes.
More Easy Curry Recipe Ideas:
- Vegetarian Curry
- Vegetable Madras Curry
- Beef Madras
- Lamb Madras
- Prawn Korma
- Lentil Curry
- Lamb Rogan Josh
For Curry Cooking Tips and Tricks:
Better and Easier Homemade Curry