Prep Time: 20 minutes
Marinate: 2 hours
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️
A lovely alternative to the traditional Easter roast lamb, great for a house full. Get ahead and marinade the day before if you have time. This recipe is for a 1kg leg of lamb but double the quantities if your meat joint is larger.
Ingredients for Spiced Leg of Lamb
1kg leg of lamb
1 onion, roughly chopped
5cm piece of ginger, grated
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 heaped tbsp of yoghurt (use alternative for dairy free diets)
4 tsps of our Korma Spice Pot (Bhuna and Goan Spice Pots also work well with this recipe)
2 tsps salt
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan
- Put all of the ingredients (except the lamb) into a blender or nutribullet or similar and blend, Add water to get the right consistency.
- Next slash the lamb all over with deep cuts and rub marinade all over, pushing into the holes.
- Place the lamb and marinade into a bag, or plastic container, and leave to develop the flavours in the fridge. Overnight is best but if you don't have time, a few hours works too. It's best if you take the lamb out of the fridge an hour before cooking, so it's at room temperature before cooking.
- Put the lamb into a foil-lined roasting tin and roast for 20 mins. Turn the oven down to 190C/170C fan and roast for 30-40 mins for meat that’s pink near the bone. Cover loosely with foil halfway through cooking or once the marinade has charred and the meat looks golden.
- Let the lamb rest before serving.
n.b you will need to increase the cooking time for larger joints of meat
Our recipe is for cooking the leg of lamb in the oven, however you could also cook this on a campfire. I've done it with a haunch of venison - it took a while, but was the tastiest venison ever! We just smothered it in a whole goan spice pot mixed with oil.