Shawarma is a Middle Eastern dish, where meat is marinated in spices all day long and then cooked over a spit. This is our super quick version which is flavoursome, fresh and has a little punch of heat. If it's summer and the sun is shining, this could also be cooked on the BBQ.
This is delicious sliced up and served with vegetable sides and couscous or brown rice, or it can also be enjoyed in a pitta with salad & our Mint & Coriander Raita.
750g chicken thighs, boneless (you can use skinless or with skin on)
1 large lemon, finely zested and juiced
50ml olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
3 tsp Sweet Spice
2 tsp sea salt
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the chicken thighs) and mix well.
- Using a large freezer bag or shallow dish, place the chicken thighs in it and add the mixture, turning the chicken to coat it well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or up to a day ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Remove the chicken from the fridge and place in a roasting tin, lying the thighs flat but snugly together. Roast for 25-30 minutes, checking they are cooked through properly.
- If you like your chicken nice and golden on the top, pop it under a hot grill for a minute or two to brown it before serving.
* Love crispy chicken skin? Use chicken thighs with the skin on, and make it nice & crispy under a hot grill before serving
* Batch cooking? You can freeze the marinated raw chicken to have it all ready for another day.
Love our Sweet Spice? You can also use this in other savoury dishes - try mixing with maple syrup and using as a glaze on your Roast Ham or try our Afghan Curry Recipe, Christmas Bread Sauce or Courgette and Chickpea Curry recipes.