“Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.” ~ Barbara De Angelis
But kindness all starts with ourselves. The world is a mirror of our mood.
Do you notice that when you are feeling irritable or down, then you think everyone else you come into contact with is not being very friendly? Or when you are feeling smiley and light, you notice everyone responds to you in the same way? It’s the same with kindness - the kinder you are to yourself, the kinder you will feel and naturally be towards others.
“Kindness is the light that dissolves all walls between souls, families, and nations.” ~ Paramahansa Yogananda
Many of us have deep self-conscious beliefs that it’s somehow selfish to be kind to ourselves. We’ve grown up with this idea and it’s a hard one to shift! As a starting point, make some tiny changes in your life so that you can cultivate kindness.
Our top tips:
- Stop with the ‘should’! I should be making dinner right now, I should be doing xyz….. Either do it or don’t do it! Relax! Enjoy your kids, the peace, your book.
- Give yourself some recognition. We are so good at complimenting our friends and family on their accomplishments but do the same for yourself. Tell yourself ‘go me, I was awesome today’ and then notice how that makes you feel.
- Forgive yourself. We all make mistakes or say things we wish we hadn’t. It will eat you up if you don’t forgive yourself and move on.
- Set an intention each morning. By setting an intention, you are giving yourself a purpose and something to be proud of at the end of the day. Even something as simple as ‘today is going to be awesome’.
- Talk to yourself. Say soothing words as you would to a friend; tell yourself that each moment is temporary and fear will pass. It’s your achievements that are permanent!
“Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca