Spiced Cullen Skink Recipe
If you're wondering what is cullen skink, then you've come to the right place! Its simply a Scottish soup made from smoked haddock, potatoes, onions, and milk. And this is our fusion of the Scottish classic with an Indian twist for what we think makes the best cullen skink recipe.
Warming and delicious, hearty enough to be a main meal. Serve with crusty bread smothered in butter.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
Cullen Skink Ingredients
1 tbsp butter or oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
2 tsp Goan
250g smoked haddock
1 bay leaf
150ml cream (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
chopped fresh (or dried) parsley
- Melt butter (or heat oil) in saucepan over medium heat, add onion and fry gently until transparent for about 5 minutes (do not allow to burn).
- Add 2 teaspoons of Goan (and a splash of water if pan is very dry) and fry gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile in another pan, cover the smoked haddock with the milk and add a bay leaf. Cook gently for about 5 minutes until just tender. Strain haddock from milk (keeping the milk, and remove bay leaf). Leave to cool enough to touch, then flake gently into large pieces, removing any bones.
- Add milk and flacked haddock to saucepan containing potatoes, add cream (if using) and cook on low for a further 5 minutes. Add more boiled water if soup too thick.
- Season with salt & pepper and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread.
A garnish of cooked smoked lardons makes this extra special!
More easy soup recipes:
Roast Vegetable Soup, Lightly Spiced
Korma Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup