Chicken Madras Curry
Rich, spicy and delicious, this Chicken Madras is our version of this curry house favorite. It's very simple to make, tastes delicious and is a very healthy curry. We have used chicken thighs for this easy curry recipe but see the notes below if you would prefer to use chicken breasts, which will reduce the cooking time. If you don't like coconut milk, we've also added a variation omitting the coconut milk and replacing with stock.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Method: Oven (or hob)
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️
Ingredients1 tbsp oil
2 onions, finely chopped or sliced
5 garlic cloves, crushed
5cm ginger, grated
8 tsps Madras curry powder for a medium to hot result
3 tsp tomato puree
1kg skinless chicken thighs, whole (or 1kg chicken breasts, chopped into cubes)
300ml coconut milk
2 tsps salt (or to taste)
Coriander, to garnish
- Heat the oven to 170 fan /190 conventional
- Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft, for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic & ginger and stir for another minute.
- Add the spices and tomato puree and cook for a minute (add a splash of water if looking too dry).
- Add the salt and the chicken thighs, whole, coating in the paste
- Fry the chicken on a high heat for around 2 minutes
- Add the coconut milk (or substitute with 250ml stock if you prefer)
- Put on the lid and put in the oven for 25 mins.
- Now remove the lid and then cook for a further 25 minutes in the oven until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is soft and falling apart
- Check the seasoning and add salt as required
- Garnish with chopped coriander and enjoy!
- Check the curry a few times during cooking to check it does not dry out
- Add a little boiling water or stock if it needs more liquid.
- If you would prefer to use chicken breasts, follow as above and put into the oven, with no lid, for around 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Freeze any leftovers including the leftover coconut milk
More Easy Curry Recipe Ideas:
- Vegetable Madras Curry
- Chicken Rogan Josh
- Beef Madras
- Lamb Madras
- Prawn Korma
- Lentil Curry
- Lamb Rogan Josh
For Curry Cooking Tips and Tricks: