Rhubarb Fool Recipe
This recipe came from my Mum but we've added the sweet blend as it pairs so well with the tangy rhubarb. This was a staple pudding for our regular Sunday lunches when we were growing up. It's a perfect spring recipe and it makes an excellent Easter dessert.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Rhubarb Fool
700g young rhubarb (thin red stalks)
2 tsp Sweet Spice Pot
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter (unsalted is best)
425ml double cream, whipped
Sugar or lemon juice
- Wash and trim rhubarb stalks and cut in to 2cm segments.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, Sweet Spice, lemon juice and butter in a saucepan and bring to the boil gently, stirring continuously.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring continuously for about 6 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft, but keeps its identity.
- Liquidise the cooked rhubarb mixture until smooth before chilling in the fridge until ready to use.
- Just before serving, fold the whipped cream into the puree and flavour to taste with sugar or lemon juice.
Recipe Notes: the portions can be quite generous, so this could feed 6-8. If there's any leftovers you can freeze in individual ramekins and eat it another time like ice cream!
For more sweet spice recipes, check out our blog post on baking with spices for a whole host of recipes.