Aloo Gosht - Lamb and Potato Bhuna Curry
2 tablespoons oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4cm piece of ginger, grated or finely chopped
5 fat garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
10 teaspoons Bhuna Spice Pot
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
500g diced lamb
500g potatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
Couple of handfuls of spinach
Heat the oven to 160 fan or 180 normal
- Heat the oil then cook the onions until translucent and browning at the edges. This takes around 10 minutes (longer if cooking onions from frozen).
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are reduced to a thick paste.
- Add the Bhuna spices and cook for a minute, stirring.
- Turn up the heat and add the meat and salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add 250ml water and bring to a simmer. Put into the oven for half an hour.
- Now add the potato chunks and cook for another hour. Check the meat is tender and if not, cook for a little longer.
Delicious served with rice and our Mint and Coriander Raita.
Make a day ahead if you can - it always tastes better on the 2nd day! If you don't need such a large quantity, I still think it's easier just to make this big batch and freeze what you don't eat straight away.