Plum Slice Recipe
This recipe came from lovely Liz, a fellow East Lothian dweller who is the Artisan baker behind the business Litty's Larder.
Liz, has shared this delicious Spiced Plum Slice she created with her home-grown plums.
450g / 1lb plums, halved, de-stoned and thinly sliced
1 tsp Sweet Spice
1 tbsp clear honey
275 g / 10 oz dark rye flour
275 g / 10 oz oats
225 g / 8 oz butter
120 ml / 4 fl oz honey
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / gas mark 4. Line an 8” x 8” baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Take plums and cut them in half, de-stone and slice thinly. Pop in bowl and add the Sweet Spice and mix through. Then add 1 tbsp honey and mix this through too.
- In another bowl mix dark rye flour and oats together.
- Put butter, honey and in a pan and heat together until melted.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Place half of the mixture in the baking tray, press down. Then spread spiced plum mix over the base. Then add rest of flour/oat/butter/honey mixture on top of spiced plums. Press down making sure the oat mix is covering the plums.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. The when cool cut into 9 or 12 squares.
- You can keep these for 2-3 days in an air tight tin, if they last that long!
You can also use the sweet spice in savoury dishes - try mixing with maple syrup and using as a glaze on your Roast Ham or try our Afghan Curry Recipe, Christmas Bread Sauce or Chicken Shawarma recipes.