This vegetable pakora recipe is super-easy to make and you can use whatever vegetables you have to hand. You make courgette pakoras, pumpkin pakoras, cauliflower pakoras all using this easy pakora recipe. These pakoras are gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian as we use chickpea flour but you can use plain flour with similar results. Serve with our mint and coriander raita, green chutney or chilli jam.
If you prefer a healthy pakora recipe, then check out our oven-baked pakoras.
Courgette Pakora variation: For a great summer alternative, especially if you like to grow your own vegetables, use 200g grated courgette in place of the carrots.
Pumpkin Pakora variation: For a great autumn edit, this recipe also works well reducing the potatoes to 100g and, instead of carrots, using 300g pumpkin, peeled and grated.
Serve with chilli jam or chutney or our Mint and Coriander Raita.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
1 onion, finely sliced
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
2.5cm piece of ginger, grated
300g potatoes, peeled and grated
200g carrots, thinly peeled into long ribbons (or grated)
2-3 tsp of Tandoori Masala
1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
75g chickpea flour (also called besan or gram flour)
2 tsp salt
Sunflower oil, for deep frying
- Put the spices, ginger, vegetables, coriander, into bowl, season and mix together thoroughly with your hands.
- Add the chickpea flour (sieve if it’s very lumpy) and mix again.
- Add a little water if you need more moisture to bind (if using courgettes, you will probably need need to add any more water). Just add a tbsp at a time.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it.
- When the oil is hot, carefully lower tablespoons of the batter mixture in batches into the oil and fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the pakoras are crisp and golden-brown and the vegetables have cooked through.
- Serve immediately with Mint and Coriander Raita or chilli jam.
NOTE: Korma, Bhuna and Goan Spice Pots also work well with this recipe
You can freeze the pakora mix after stage 1. A great mix to have in the freezer ready for unexpected guests or a quick snack or starter.
Looking for other snacks or starters?
Or read our blog for our other suggested easy side dishes
Shop the Spice
Never miss a new Spice Pots recipe, sign up to receive our newest recipes straight to your inbox