Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️
These are easy to cook but take a little time to sort carefully beforehand. Discard any mussels with cracked shells as well as any open ones that don't close up tight when squeezed.
2 tbsp oil
3 large leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed*
1.5 tsp Bhuna
1kg mussels, beards removed just before cooking
120ml coconut milk (approx 1/3 of a 400ml tin)
Salt and pepper
Coriander, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the leeks to the pan and gently cook until softened (don't burn or they will be bitter).
- Add the garlic (if using) and Bhuna and cook for about a minute.
- Add the mussels, coconut milk and about 350ml water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the mussels have opened (about 5 minutes)
- Garnish with coriander.
*You can also try the Tandoori Masala Spice Pot, but leave out the garlic.
Don't eat any mussels that didn't open while cooking