Tree branches in British gardens are swinging heavily with beautiful, red Victoria plums currently, all ready & ripe from basking under summer skies. One of the quickest ways to enjoy plums ~ other than washing and devouring them! ~ is to roast or stew them and enjoy with granola & yoghurt at breakfast. This recipe is also delicious with ice-cream as a simple dessert.
6-8 plums, stones removed and halved
60 ml of maple syrup
½-3⁄4 tsp Sweet Spice
Splash of vanilla extract (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the halved plums in a single layer, cut side up, in a shallow baking dish.
- Stir together the maple syrup and Sweet Spice (and vanilla extract, if using), and drizzle this over the plums.
- Place the dish in the oven and roast for 15 minutes until the plums are tender.
Alternative on the hob
- Swap the maple syrup out with a quick syrup of 75g caster sugar and 250mls water, mixing the sugar & water together in a saucepan on a medium heat until it has dissolved.
- Add the plums and Sweet Spice, and simmer for 15 minutes until the plums are tender.
* This freezes well! Perfect for making batches with seasonal plums to store for winter ahead.