Spiced Apple Tart
A delicious twist on a classic dessert! Serve warm with lashings of cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Method: Oven (or hob)
For the pastry:
140g hard margarine or butter, diced
110g plain flour
110g self-raising flour
1/2 egg, beaten
For the filling:
3 large cooking or bramley apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of sugar
3 teaspoons Sweet Spice, plus extra for sprinkling on top
Icing sugar for dusting on top
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C for Fan) or Gas Mark 6. Grease a 20cm / 8 inch tart tin.
2. To make the pastry, sift both the plain and self-raising flour into a bowl. Add the sugar, rub in the margarine (or butter) and 1/2 a beaten egg to bind. Knead the mixture, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Alternatively mix all the ingredients in a food processor.
3. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of approx 5mm and line the greased tin with the pastry. Prick with a fork.
4. To make the filling, place 2 of the thinly sliced apples in a bowl and mix with the lemon juice, sugar and Sweet Spice. Spoon evenly into the pastry case.
5. Use the remaining sliced apple to decorate the top of the tart in a spiral effect. Brush the apple slices with a little more lemon juice and sprinkle over 1/2 teaspoon of Sweet Spice and a dusting of icing sugar.
6. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until firm. Serve warm with lashings of cream or a scoop of ice cream.
We also have an amazing recipe for Carrot Cake Cup Cakes.