Planning meals, shopping and cooking can feel like a full time job when life is busy with work or family. It can be a challenge to constantly come up with easy dinner ideas that will feed your household and sometimes, we just simply run out of inspiration and get stuck in a cooking rut.
Cooking healthy, family meals and mid week meals can be made much easier with a well stocked store cupboard and freezer. Dinner ideas start to flow and even when you haven't made it to the shops, you can whip up a healthy meal.
Having frozen chopped vegetables, including onions, along with dried pulses or rice means that you can always make soup or a curry or a stir fry, deliciously seasoned with spices.
Store Cupboard Essentials
- Spice Pots or any good quality blended curry spices or curry powder. Check that they don't contain salt or fillers. Spices will keep for ages provided you store them in an airtight container and preferably in the dark. ** Using spice mixes means that you don't need to buy lots of different individual spices and they can easily transform basic ingredients into easy dinner ideas. Use to make a simple curry, add to yoghurt to use as a marinade for chicken kebabs or spice up a simple soup recipe.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- Soy sauce
- Lentils (red and brown)
- Tinned chickpeas
- Tinned tomatoes
- Coconut milk
- Dried noodles
- Tinned cannellini / butter beans / kidney beans
- Vegetable/chicken stock
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Honey / agave nectar
- Peanut butter
- Gram Flour / besan flour / chickpea flour
- Lemon Juice / lime juice
- Chopped Onions
- Ginger (broken into 5cm chunks)
- Chillies (freeze them whole)
- Butternut squash - chopped and ready to go
- Chicken breasts
- Puff pastry
- Satay Sauce (check out our easy recipe here which freezes so well)
Pair these essential basic ingredients with the following store cupboard recipes for delicious, quick and healthy family meals
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Tandoori Masala Vegetable and Lentil Curry
- Lentil, Spiced Roast Carrot and Feta Warm Salad
- Spice Pots Goan Daal
- Prawn Korma
- Chicken Korma Express
- Chicken Bhuna
- Goan Chicken Curry with Lentils
- Simple Marinade for Vegetables or Chicken
- Vegan Savoury Pancakes
- Satay Sauce
- Lazy Vegetable Bhuna
Spice Pots are all about realistic cooking and easy dinner ideas. We are on mission to help you make quick, healthy curry and Indian-inspired food at home. Get your cupboard and freezer stocked up so that you can easily follow a simple, healthy meal plan for you and your family however busy you are with life.
Happy Cooking! x
** We have a handy storage tin for storing your spices mixes in the dark to keep them fresh.
Shop the Spice
Never miss a new Spice Pots recipe, sign up to receive our newest recipes straight to your inbox