National Picnic Day.
National picnic day is on the 23rd April. Although April is known for its showers, the sun still likes to make an appearance. So grab your blankets, make shift baskets and head out into the UK sunshine for a good old-fashioned picnic!
According to some picnic experts (yes - they really do exist) - the top tips for a great picnic include preparation, entertainment, protection and tidiness. So, here at Spice Pots we thought we’d help you with some ideas for the prepping phase of your picnic – after all, food is the most important part of any good picnic isn’t it?
This year, instead of filling your hamper with a sandwiches, sausage rolls, pasties and pies, why not try something different? Take a look at some of our easy recipes that are sure to get your mouth watering, and are a great way to add a little flavour to your picnic:
- Spiced Potato Salad – This dish is our take on the classic potato salad. It’s gluten free and suitable for vegans, and so is a great dish to serve alongside a summer salad.
- Tandoori Masala Spiced Skewers - Fed up of sausage rolls? Why not try our tasty Skewers -They can be made with chicken, prawns, vegetables or haloumi, whatever takes your fancy! (If you choose the meat option, be sure to keep the skewers cold in your basket).
- Mint and Coriander Raita – Think the spiced skewers may be too hot for you? Don’t panic - simply make this cool Mint and Coriander Dip to serve alongside them. It’s also really great in a pitta bread or served alongside some chopped up carrot and cucumber sticks.
- Tomato and Lentil Salad – This is a quick and easy dish that can be made the day before your picnic. It’s packed with flavour and is great served alongside some chicken skewers and raita.
- Lamb Burgers – Finally, if you’re lucky enough to have a throw away BBQ at your picnic why not make our Lamb Burgers. They’re a great one for the kids, and are super easy to make. You can prepare them before you leave, and simply throw them on the BBQ when you arrive at your picnic location. (If you choose the meat option, be sure to keep the meat cold in your basket).
If you’re still struggling for Ideas, why not visit our recipe page where we’ve got tonnes more foodie ideas, which are perfect for your picnic!