We're lucky to have a wonderful artisan baker in East Lothian called Litty’s Larder, where baking is focused on seasonal, foraged and ethical ingredients. The owner, Liz, has shared this delicious Spiced Plum Slice she created with her home-grown plums.
450g / 1lb plums, halfed, de-stoned and thinly sliced
1 tsp Sweet Spice
1 tbsp clear honey
275 g / 10 oz dark rye flour
275 g / 10 oz oats
225 g / 8 oz butter
120 ml / 4 fl oz honey
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / gas mark 4. Line an 8” x 8” baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Take plums and cut them in half, de-stone and slice thinly. Pop in bowl and add the Sweet Spice and mix through. Then add 1 tbsp honey and mix this through too.
- In another bowl mix dark rye flour and oats together.
- Put butter, honey and in a pan and heat together until melted.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Place half of the mixture in the baking tray, press down. Then spread spiced plum mix over the base. Then add rest of flour/oat/butter/honey mixture on top of spiced plums. Press down making sure the oat mix is covering the plums.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. The when cool cut into 9 or 12 squares.
- You can keep these for 2-3 days in an air tight tin, if they last that long!