A lovely, fresh tasty grated carrot salad that goes beautifully with Tandoori Spiced Chicken skewers and our Easy Coriander and Mint Raita. Combine for a delicious starter or meal. This salad freezes well too and makes a gorgeous sandwich filling added to grilled chicken or halloumi.
Serves: 4-6 as a side salad or side dish.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 minute
Heat scale: 🌶️
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
pinch of ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
500g grated carrots
coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a small pan. When fairly hot, add the mustard and cumin seeds. Allow the seeds to cook / pop until you can smell the aroma and the cumin seeds have gone a little darker. This takes only around 20-30 seconds. Be careful not to burn them!
- Remove from the heat, add the turmeric, salt and sugar and stir well.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Mix in the lemon juice then pour it all over the grated carrots, thoroughly coating.
- Leave for 30 minutes or longer for the flavours to develop.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
For another delicious Indian salad, try and quick and easy Kachumber Salad recipe.