Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Recipe
This is such an easy way to cook a curry. Throw it all together before heading off to work and be rewarded with dinner all done when you come home. The sweet potato and the chickpeas make this a very hearty curry. Full of flavour and no oil at all!
500g boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tin chickpeas drained and rinsed
2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
100 ml coconut milk
120 ml chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons Tandoori Masala
1 teaspoon salt
145 g green peas frozen
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Fresh coriander (to garnish)
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, Tandoori Masala curry powder and salt.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 5 or 6 hours
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt if required
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh coriander
If you don't have a slow cooker, you can still use your oven! Place everything in a roasting pan and cover with a double layer of foil, securing it tightly at the edges to ensure no steam escapes. Slow roast at 165°C for 1-1.25 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and falling apart.
For more slow cooker cooking tips and how to convert any recipe for a slow cooker, read our blog post.
This is such an easy curry but also check out our Slow Cooker Chicken Korma which is also a winner. Try with one of our other proper curry powders too - the Goan or the Korma would also work really well. Let me know if you try it! Happy cooking!