This is a very simple, family friendly, chicken curry. A great dinner idea if you are looking for some inspiration for a healthy family meal. This easy curry recipe will ensure that chicken curry is added to your weekly meal planning! This simple Indian dish has hint of warmth (add fresh chillies to make it hotter). We have added spinach to add some green but you could add other vegetables too, earlier in the cooking process to bulk this out and make it go further. Green beans would work well.
Pair it with rice, flatbreads and our delicious and cooling Mint and Coriander Raita.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Method: Hob (or oven)
Heat scale: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
Chicken Curry Ingredients:
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4cm piece of ginger, grated or finely chopped
4 fat garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
400g tin chopped tomatoes
8 - 10 tsp Bhuna Spice Pot
800g - 1kg chicken breasts, chopped into largish chunks (or use thighs and increase the cooking time)
2 tsp salt
Coriander and chopped fresh chillies to garnish
Chicken Curry Method:
- Heat the oil then cook the onions until softened and browning, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes are reduced to a thick, dark paste.
- Add the Bhuna spice and cook for a minute, stirring.
- Turn up the heat and add the chicken and salt and mix well. You want to try and add some colour to the chicken.
- Stir in 150ml of water
- Allow it to simmer gently, with the lid off, until the chicken is soft and tender, about 20 minutes. If using chicken thighs, cook for longer. You can also cook on a gentle heat in the oven.
- Just before serving, swirl in some spinach and let it wilt.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chopped chilies.
- Serve with naan bread and Mint and Coriander Raita on the side.
If there are any leftovers, freeze for a time-saving
For more chicken curry recipes, check our recipes page.
Or we have a range of vegetarian curry recipe ideas.
Explore more side dishes and accompaniments which also make the perfect accompaniments to BBQ food.