Chicken Korma Curry - The Original
A mild but fragrant curry, this is one of the original Spice Pots recipes. We do have other, quicker curry recipes that you do not require any marinading but if you have the time, this recipe is really worth the extra effort.
Traditionally, Korma style curries were for special occasions using expensive spices and nuts.The UK's "curry house" version is quite a long step away from these origins. Spice Pots Korma is somewhere in the middle. The creamy sauce is made using yoghurt and coconut milk with ground almonds to enrich. Delicious with chicken, this recipe can also be used with other meats or vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinate: 2 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Heat scale: 🌶️
8-10 teaspoons of Korma Spice Pot
150ml natural yoghurt
5cm piece ginger, grated or finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
3 tbsp ground almonds
1 kg chicken breasts, cut into 3 cm pieces
1.5-2 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
400ml tin coconut milk
Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Mix the ginger, garlic and yoghurt in a bowl.
- Add the almonds, salt and the Korma spices.
- Mix well, then add the chicken and thoroughly coat.
- Cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat the oil, add the onions and cook until soft & translucent.
- Add the chicken and all the marinade, and cook for a few minutes on a fairly high heat.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Check the seasoning, garnish with coriander.
- Serve with rice or breads.
NOTE If you like a bit more heat, just add a chilli or two.
We have suggested marinating the chicken in yoghurt with the spices, but if you are short of time, just skip the marinating.
Try beef or lamb instead, but cook it for much longer to ensure the meat is tender.
Browse more easy curry recipes or check out our Slow Cooker Chicken Korma Recipe.