A rich vegan curry that is delicious with either of our Goan or Korma spice blends. It also freezes and reheats well, meaning it's perfect for batch cooking as an easy meal for another night. This curry would also be delicious as a fill-and-fold dinner served with Quick Flatbreads.
3 aubergines (about 650 grams), sliced into rounds and quartered
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
4 heaped tsp Goan or Korma
400ml tin of coconut milk
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
A handful of coriander, chopped to garnish
Rice to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Drizzle the chopped aubergines with olive oil, season with some salt and mix well. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- While the aubergines are cooking, heat a good splash of oil and cook the onions until soft, for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the spices and cook for a minute (add a splash of water if you are worried about burning the spices).
- Add the coconut milk and chopped tomatoes, give it a stir and let it come to a gentle simmer.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven, and add them, making sure you scrape everything from the tin. Give it all a good stir and allow it to come back to a gentle simmer. Put the lid on and let it continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Thicken the sauce for a further 5 minutes at the end with the lid off. Check the seasoning and adjust to your taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice.
We have many other Vegan and Vegetarian Curry Recipes listed in our blog using a whole range of different vegetables and pulses.