Courgettes are always in season in July and August in the UK and this is a beautifully rich curry for rainy summer days. It uses a combination of three spice blends to achieve a lovely flavour & heat, and strike a balance between sweet & sour.
1 tbsp oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
3 tsp Bhuna*
2 tsp Goan*
½ tsp Sweet Spice*
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400ml tin coconut milk (you can substitute for stock if you prefer)
400g tin chickpeas, rinsed
400g courgettes, cut into bite-sized chunks
Squeeze of lime juice
Handful of chopped herbs, to garnish (coriander, parsley or mint)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft, for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic & ginger and stir for another minute.
- Add the spices and cook for a minute (add a splash of water if you are worried about burning the spices).
- Add the tinned tomatoes and coconut milk, and let it come to a gentle simmer. Allow to bubble over a low heat for 5-10 minutes, until it's thickened a little.
- Once thickened, add the courgettes and chickpeas, give everything a good stir and allow to simmer for a further 10-15 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes and if the courgettes are almost done, remove from the hob - if you overcook them, they'll go soggy and soft.
- Add the lime juice, and salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with rice.
* You can replace any of the spices with just one blend (e.g. use 5 tsp Korma) and use cinnamon in place of the Sweet Spice
Love our Sweet Spice? You can also use this in other savoury dishes - try mixing with maple syrup and using as a glaze on your Roast Ham or try our Afghan Curry Recipe, Christmas Bread Sauce or Chicken Shawarma recipes.
We have many other Vegan and Vegetarian Curry Recipes listed in our blog using a whole range of different vegetables and pulses.
Shop the Spice
Never miss a new Spice Pots recipe, sign up to receive our newest recipes straight to your inbox