Pumpkin, Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
A delicious, warming and soulful pumpkin soup, especially on a chilly day, created with beautiful pumpkins from Kilduff Farm.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp Spice Pots Korma
250g Kilduff Farm pumpkin or a pumpkin/squash mix (cooked weight)
1 large sweet potato, diced
100g red lentils
1 litre boiling water
2 vegetable stock cubes
2 tbsp tomato puree (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 190°C | 180°C fan | gas 5.
- In this recipe, we use roast pumpkin as this releases the gorgeous sweet flavour. Simply cut the pumpkin in half (scoop out the seeds, wash and dry between kitchen towel try to get the seeds as dry as possible, save for later) then cut again into quarters. Lightly brush with olive oil, place on a baking tray and roast pumpkin for approximately 30 – 40 minutes, until soft. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Once cooled, remove the skin and use the flesh only in this recipe. If using the leftover pulp from carving, roast it on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and brush with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, put a large pan on a medium heat, add the olive oil and soften the onion until translucent.
- Add in the crushed garlic, cumin and turmeric and toss in the onion for a couple of minutes to help release the spice oils.
- Add the diced sweet potato, lentils, tomato, water, vegetable bouillon, salt and pepper to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Whilst the vegetables are simmering, place the pumpkin seeds in a bowel and season with olive oil, salt and pepper and then spread evenly on a lined baking tray, roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Add the cooked roast pumpkin to the vegetable and lentils, blend the soup with a hand-held blender or liquidiser, until smooth.
- Serve the pumpkin soup with fresh crusty bread, a dollop of natural yoghurt and sprinkling of the roast pumpkin seeds. Delicious & nutritious!
This recipe has been lovingly created for Kilduff Farm by Sonia Lee, LeeLifeNutition.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Roast Vegetable Soup, Lightly Spiced
Korma Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup